Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology

ARTICLES
Year
: 1996  |  Volume : 2  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 80--86

Ascites: Tips on diagnosis and management


Ibrahim A Al Mofleh, Rashed S Al Rashed 
 Department of Medicine, College of Medicine & KKUH, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Ibrahim A Al Mofleh
Department of Gastroenterolgy (59) P.O. Box 2925, Riyadh 11461
Saudi Arabia

Clinical evaluation and diagnostic paracentesis with estimation of the serum-ascitic albumin gradient (SAAG) is the most important step in identifying the etiology of ascites. At a level of 1.1 g/dl, SAAG, accurately (96.7%) differentiate portal hypertension from nonportal hypertension-associated ascites. The majority of patients with ascites (>80%) have portal hypertension associated etiology mainly, liver cirrhosis. Approximately 90% of patients with ascites complicating cirrhosis respond to salt restriction and diuretics. The remainder (10%),have refractory ascites which commonly respond well to large volume paracentesis (LVP). Asymptomatic complications occurring in patients treated with LVP may not necessitate treatment. Other alternative methods for treatment of refractory ascites include: ascitic fluid recirculation (AR), peritoneovenous shunting (PVS),transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunting (TIPS) and orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT).


How to cite this article:
Al Mofleh IA, Al Rashed RS. Ascites: Tips on diagnosis and management.Saudi J Gastroenterol 1996;2:80-86


How to cite this URL:
Al Mofleh IA, Al Rashed RS. Ascites: Tips on diagnosis and management. Saudi J Gastroenterol [serial online] 1996 [cited 2019 Nov 19 ];2:80-86
Available from: http://www.saudijgastro.com/article.asp?issn=1319-3767;year=1996;volume=2;issue=2;spage=80;epage=86;aulast=Al;type=0