Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology

ARTICLES
Year
: 1997  |  Volume : 3  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 90--93

Perforated duodenal ulcer in Asir central hospital


Suleiman Jastaniah, Mohammad Yahia Al Naami, Tarek M.S Malatani 
 College of Medicine, Asir Central Hospital, King Saud University, Abha Branch, Abha, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Suleiman Jastaniah
College of Medicine, P.O. Box 641, Abha
Saudi Arabia

In a study of 27 cases of perforated duodenal ulcer seen at Asir Central Hospital over a period of seven years, two patients were females and 25 males. The highest incidence was in the fourth decade and the average age was 36.3 years. The Saudi-foreigner ratio was 1:2.9 in an area where the Saudi-foreigner population ratio was 1:3. Nine patients (33.3%) were previously diagnosed as having peptic ulcer and had received treatment at one time or the other before perforation. Eighteen patients (66.7%) were first diagnosed to peptic ulcer after the perforation. All the identified perforations were located anteriorly and anterosuperiorly. Only one case occurred in the second part of duodenum. The rest occurred in the first part. Two patients were treated successfully conservatively. The month perforations occurred most was the month of Shaaban. The fasting period during the month of Ramadhan did not show any increase in the prevalence of perforation in this hospital.


How to cite this article:
Jastaniah S, Al Naami MY, Malatani TM. Perforated duodenal ulcer in Asir central hospital.Saudi J Gastroenterol 1997;3:90-93


How to cite this URL:
Jastaniah S, Al Naami MY, Malatani TM. Perforated duodenal ulcer in Asir central hospital. Saudi J Gastroenterol [serial online] 1997 [cited 2021 Jan 21 ];3:90-93
Available from: https://www.saudijgastro.com/article.asp?issn=1319-3767;year=1997;volume=3;issue=2;spage=90;epage=93;aulast=Jastaniah;type=0